Friday, December 5, 2008

It's Been Awhile.....so....umm....Merry Christmas?

The last time I posted anything, it was in the 90's. Today, it's snowing. And that's how long it's been since I've posted anything on this blog.

I have recently taken on more responsibility at work, which includes more hours. My time is limited, so I'm just not getting to my blogs like I use to OR like I would like to.

But, I have GOT to write about the holidays. After all, for me, they have always spoke of "FAMILY".

The baking, the cooking, the shopping, the decorations.....all of it brings back so many great memories for me.

Right now, my foyer looks like it puked Christmas. Ken brought down all of the decorations and deposited them in our foyer last weekend. The only thing I have up is our large nativity set. The large tree is still in two parts and apparently still decorated (Thanks, bunches, Olivia!)
I fed nearly 400 at our Community Wide Thanksgiving Dinner where I work and oversee the event. It went well, despite my inner panicking. So I was exhausted and didn't get anything else up. Oh well, life goes on!

I really want to post some holiday recipes. I really try to only eat these foods during the holidays, because I want them to remain special and not become boring. Thus far, this has worked for me.
I will begin with Thanksgiving.

When I was growing up our Thanksgiving table looked slightly different than most Americans. Although we had the usual turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes (bla, bla, bla), we also had the usual Sunday meal regulars: rigatoni, meatballs, tossed salad.....(yum!). I wonder why our family has weight issues?

The recipe I'm going to post is NOT an old family favorite, but it IS a family favorite. Actually, we've been making it for approiximately thirty years and it has been handed down to the next generation. It is now Olivia's job to make the cranberry salad.

Back in 1979, I was in a theater troupe that toured the U.S. for 1 year. We did a Thanksgiving tour that year to Virginia and New York (those are state I remember, we may be gone to P.A., also). We spent Thanksgiving day on an old plantation in Virginia. The house was slightly reminiscent of Tara (Gone With The Wind). I recall sitting on the front porch of the house, which had large white pillars and playing with caterpillars. It was perfect fall weather, very balmy. By the time we got to New York the end of the tour (four days later) it was snowing.

The dinner at the plantation was massive. There were about 15 of us in the group plus about 15 or more other people. Tables snaked through the downstairs of the house and we sat and ate "family" style.

The cranberry salad was the biggest hit. I brought the recipe home and my family loved it and it has been prepared every Thanksgiving since then.

Cranberry Salad
1 can whole cranberries 1 can crushed pineapple (drained) 1 bag (16 oz.) frozen strawberries with juice (thawed) walnuts (chopped) (as many as you like)
Mix all ingredients, folding the walnuts in at the end.
TA DA!

That's it. Is that easy or what?! We love this. I take it to my mother-in-law's every year. She requests it. So try it. You'll like it!
Coming soon, Christmas stories and recipes, including wedding soup.

No comments: