Saturday, March 14, 2009

Hey, Just Thought I Would Check In.....

It has been a long winter. AND you would think that I would spend more time blogging. I did do alot on my other blog (Spirituality 4Dummies), but for some reason I just couldn't find the time to blog here. Probably because I hardly cook anymore. I am so tired by the time I get home from work, that I don't ever cook.

I do cook on the weekends. So on weekdays we usually end up eating leftovers or sandwiches...salads....things of that nature.

I LOVE watching cooking shows. Especially Italian cooking shows. We don't have cable or satelite, so we rely on local channels and PBS. Mary Ann Esposito and Lidia are the two Italian cooks I like to watch.

I especially love watching Lidia who includes her children and grandchildren in much of her show. There is a wonderful family atmosphere.

One of the things that I've been wanting to blog about is the opening of the new Rulli Bros. Store in Boardman. I have been waiting for this for years. They put a sign up on the property about two or three years ago and finally started construction about a year ago. I was hoping it would open around the holidays, but they waited until March 1.

When I was growing up, I only remember going to Anzevino's in the Boardman Plaza. It is still there and is barely a store front. I loved the smell of meats and cheese that met me when I walked through the door.

Rulli Bros. has that same smell and I've talked to more than one non-Italian that has said that they cannot stand going into the store because of the smell. Apparently, these are people who have never been around the smell of fresh meat and cheese. They probably eat alot of bland, flavorless food, also.

For those of you who have never been to this large of an Italian food store, it is a dream come true. Although their produce is extensive, it is sometimes not very "fresh". But the deli and butcher make up for this in the way of good food and very good prices. Where else can you find boneless, skinless chicken breasts for $1.18 a lb. Or Capacola for less than $4.00 a LB. Amazing!

They have by far the best Italian Turkey Sausage I have ever tasted.

You may have to wait, but it's all worth it.

Also, you can get things there that you cannot at other stores. Different types of pasta, sauces, canned foods such as hot peppers or gardenia mixes. (Not in cans, in jars, but canned....is this confusing?)

When we were growing up and visiting Endicott, there were two neghborhood stores that I recall frequenting. Benny's, which was a block from my grandmother's house in one direction and Lupo's, which was a block in another direction. We went to Benny's more because it was a shorter block and it wasn't a long walk for us younger ones (the little kids). I remember going to get pumpkin seeds in a brown paper bag. I loved them.

I think Rulli Bros. started out as a neighborhood store a long time ago and grew.

So, if any of you out there are thinking you can't stand the smell, put a clothespin on your nose and suck it up. You won't regret it.

No comments: